Wednesday 8 April 2015

Chapter 9 - Reverse Applique, Traditional & Contemporary Methods


I enjoy applique and have worked on projects using bonded and needle turn methods. I have tried reverse applique, but some time ago, so I was looking forward to this chapter. I ended up with  seven samples including two mistakes which came about from misreading the instructions. All notes are recorded on the working sheets.


9.1
 
 With the first sample, traditional method, I found the tacking stitches inhibited getting a nice clean edge and points. previously with needle turn applique I haven't used tacking and have found it to be an easier method as it gives the material more flexibility. It may of course not be as precise.
 
 

9.2                                                           9.3
 
With the next two samples I used similar layers to compare the results of cutting inside or outside of the stitching. It's quite remarkable how different the samples look.

9.4                                                              9.5

I really enjoyed the next two samples. I used random layers of fabric and felt these samples evolved the more that fabric was cut away. Sample 9.4 is my favourite, I like the way the colours merge together.



9.6                                                                 9.7

The last two samples are 'the mistakes' but I liked the results.

I really enjoyed this chapter, and again I got more adventurous as I went on. I particularly like starting with random snipping away of fabric, and then adjusting where to cut to make a more balanced sample. I liked the addition of metallic fabric which gave interesting contrasts and highlights, and also using dyed scrim which gives a good texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment