Friday 10 April 2015

Chapter 10 - Making Ripples, Slashing & Melting

For Chapter 10 I have made two composite sheets. I found this a very useful exercise in seeing a design from start to finish and it will be helpful in working on a larger design/project. The sheets are A3 and photographed.

 
 
Composite Sheet A - Slashing, Samples 10.1 & 10.2
I have not tried this technique before and found it great fun. With the first sample (10.1) I found it quite tricky to cut through the fabric and I think I should have made the stitch lines a little wider. This frayed fairly well after some vigorous rubbing and combing with a dog brush but I think the cotton fabric on the top layer may have hindered the fraying. With the second sample (10.2) I layered more silk towards the top of the pile and a piece of well washed old silk fabric on the top. I altered the direction of the machine stitching and I think this made it more interesting. The texture was softer and more chenille like. I stitched outside the shape in both samples and will try stitching inside the shape in the future.

 

 
 
Composite Sheet B - Melting, Test 1 & 2, Samples 10.3 & 10.4
This was also a new technique to me and again I found it great fun. The room definitely needs to be very well ventilated and I worked with the door wide open.
 
From the first melting test I learnt that although fabrics maybe both described as 'synthetic silk', for example, the fibres are obviously different as some melt far more easily than others. It also gave me a 'feel' for the soldering iron. With the second melting test I managed to try different patterns and removing fabric - you need to be pretty quick to do this! I got quite a good scrappy, torn effect using the side of the tip. I can see how different effects can be used in different projects.
 
I reverted back to the pylon star shape for Sample 10.3 and simply stitched around the shape and practiced the 'side tip' technique in the middle. I think I'm probably holding the tip on the fabric for too long and need a more delicate touch as the fabric looks a bit burnt in places. In Sample 10.4 I made an asymmetrical distortion of the star and carried the stitching through the shape. This time I melted in straight lines outside the shape and use the side tip melting inside the shape. I was pleased with this sample and liked the mixture of techniques with the iron.
 
I added the composite sheets to my pin board which is nice and full, although still probably a bit neat ;0) I can see everything from my table though.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment