Wednesday 8 April 2015

Chapter 8 - Complex Samples

These samples are a combination of bonding, hand and machine stitching and padding. I made 7 samples and found some of them a bit tricky. My sewing machine protested at bondaweb and I need to buy some bigger needles. I found the padding distorted the shape in 8.3 and I think this was due to fabric choice, as 8.4 worked much better.

   8.1                                                                   8.2 & 8.3


Close Up Of Padding 8.2
 

Close Up Of Padding 8.3
 
 
I tried using coloured tissue paper (8.4) but didn't really get the result I wanted, I tried different stitches and left the sample as showing different stitching techniques. I tried  heating some painted Tyvek (8.7) as I have not used this technique before. It wasn't a complete success but I was pleased with the star for the sample.

 

On reflection, I think maybe I saw the word 'complex' and started to overthink the samples, but this has been a good exercise in putting the techniques together to produce more complicated samples. It has given me a good insight in how the techniques work practically and how to make a choice of fabrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment