Saturday 4 April 2015

Chapter 6 - Use Of Bonding In Applique (b) bonding samples

I made seven samples using a variety of techniques for this chapter.



6.1 & 6.2                                                      6.3 & 6.4
 
For the first two samples I chose two of the units from my design sheets to practice relatively straightforward bonding and cutting. I used the fabrics in different layers as a comparison of how changing the layers changes the look of a design. For the next sample I looked at a more complex cut and fold design based on a unit from my design sheets using a printed fabric for the top layer. Then I used one of my bonded fabrics with torn painted bondaweb. I like using the painted bondaweb and once again there's plenty of scope for experimenting.
 

6.5
 
I was happy with this unit, although I only used two layers the bonded background fabric didn't need much added to it. The Steam A Seam was a little difficult to cut and fold because it stuck together when it was folded, but I like the effect. I could use a piece of baking parchment next time to stop this.
 

6.6 & 6.7

With Sample 6.6,  I used painted bondaweb as the top layer. I realised I had painted the bondaweb too thickly because it nearly covered the middle layer and the bottom layer of bonded fabric was lost completely. I need to thin the paint down in the future, although I did like the effect. So for the next sample I used the painted bondaweb as the middle layer on a plain cotton background and the bonded fabric on the top. This worked much better. With the leftover cut bits of bonded fabric I returned to sample 6.6 and I was surprised to find when I added them it became my favourite sample. It is definitely a good idea to keep the things that go wrong in your sketchbook, to learn from and to go back and adapt.

No comments:

Post a Comment