Wednesday 8 April 2015

Chapter 7 - Translating Layered Designs Into Embroidery

This chapter is about translating layered paper designs into embroidered fabric samples.  I made six samples and on the whole I was pleased with the results. I made notes on my worksheets as I went along. Working with paper samples first gave me a much better starting point for the fabric samples, so I felt I got better outcomes. I also gave each sample more thought before starting rather than 'hit and miss'! I got more adventurous as I went on and Samples 7.3 and 7.6 are my favourites.
 
7.1                                                               7.2
 
The first two samples are quite neat and ordered, and I started with simple shapes/compositions.

7.3                                                               7.4
 
I particularly like Sample 7.3 because I used a leaf shape which came from one of my photographs I took at the beginning of the Module and I used a technique that I had practiced with paper, so it seemed more of an evolved design. Sample 7.4 was an adaptation of my original plan, which was more complex than I had first thought. I looked at how I could achieve my original idea in the future.
 
7.5                                                               7.6
 
Sample 7.5 looked very plain, boring and unfinished so I added hand embroidery and cut away some more and got a much better end sample. I like Sample 7.6. It seemed to come together well and was pretty much as I had planned. The metallic fabric showed up well and contrasted with the other fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment