Wednesday 1 April 2015

Chapter 5 - Fabric Selection & Decoration

I have been sorting fabrics from my stash and have bought some when I've been out and about. I mainly bought lightweight and sheer fabrics. My stash fabrics are mainly what have been leftover from projects and given to me. I will probably dye some scrim and a couple of other neutral fabrics as I move through the module, I want to see how some designs evolve before dyeing lots of fabric.
 
 
 
It was a good afternoon for decorating some fabric today, as the sun was shining into my workroom and I knew the fabrics would dry nicely. I selected several fabrics to begin with. I was much more confident than when I started printing the paper - and far more organised.  I chose two colours as suggested in the module to start; Metallic Silver Acrylic Paint and Island Blue So Soft Fabric Paint. I had some fabric paint so thought I would use it for this.
 
 

 
 
I used my rubber stamp that I made for printing paper. I printed in the same way as I did the coloured paper and tried some random and some more ordered patterns. The silver looks more 'silver' in reality, it looks more white in the photographs.
 
As I had the fabric paint I then added Tangerine into the mix and also tried some sponging, as I liked this effect with the paper printing. I ended up with a nice range of effects on different types of fabric. I seem to find I like my printing & colouring efforts better once I have walked away for a while, and then come back. I could begin to see how the printed fabrics could be used in designs as I was working this time.
 



 
 
 
 
 
I have a nice group of fabrics to move onto Chapter 6 with now and am happy I can quickly print more as and when I need to.  I can definitely see the benefits of colouring and printing to obtain something that is unique to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment