Thursday 9 July 2015

Summer School 2015

 
I had the best time at the summer school, met some lovely people and learnt lots and lots. I came away very much inspired by the tutors and other students. I attended the workshop 'From Outside In' with Shelley Rhodes and I thought I would make a record of my reflections.

 
It's always difficult to look back and remember everything you have learnt. So although I learnt many techniques, gelli printing amongst others, I'm trying to reflect on the 'bigger picture'.
 
Firstly, I picked up a lot about colour, but in particular how to build up slowly and thoughtfully, building and layering. By adding only one colour to begin with, to black and white, it meant I really thought about that colour and the effect it would have on my work. When it came to choosing a second colour - not until the second day - I again really gave it some thought because of the limitation of choice and felt it all came together much better. I'm really going to carry this through in future work, rather than having a huge choice and spending hours choosing and changing my mind.
 
Secondly, I picked up a lot about actually looking closely at what is nearby, what I can observe and what I can use in my work. To make a careful collection of meaningful things so I have a good choice, and to add to it whenever I can. Also, to make good quantities of printed and coloured paper and fabric which allows you to explore different ideas and themes without having to stop to produce more supplies and sometimes gives coincidental results.
 
Thirdly, I gained more confidence in myself and the confidence to push myself forward to try new things. To that end I've set myself a sketch a day challenge to improve my drawing and mark making skills.

 
I'm aiming now to complete the pieces from the workshop and then spend a couple of weeks exploring the general 'feel' of the workshop, obviously this will be influenced by Shelley's work but I'm hoping it will help me develop aspects and skills of my own in the future. And for anyone who was working alongside me, I will obviously be keeping lots of sketch books from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment