Wednesday 29 July 2015

M2 Chapter 7 - Traditional Piecing Methods

In this chapter I looked at the traditional piecing methods of the Log Cabin method and the Seminole method. I have 'pieced' quite a few quilts in the past, and wasn't particularly looking forward to this chapter, but I really enjoyed using my own printed and dyed fabrics and also playing with seams.

Log Cabin Method

 
Samples 7.1 to 7.3
 
 
Samples 7.4 to 7.6
 
 
Sample 7.6 without additional stitching.
 
 
Samples 7.7 & 7.8
 
 
Sample 7.9
 
 
Samples 7.10 & 7.11
 
 
Close Up of 7.11. I am pleased how the seam insets and stitching livened this sample up.
 
 
Seminole Method
 
 
Samples 7.12 & 7.13
 
 
Samples 7.14 & 7.15
 
 
Samples 7.16 & 7.17
 
 
There are many, many ways of cutting and piecing, for example I could cut up the log cabin samples and pieced together with the Seminole method. I found by adding extra fabric as in Sample 7.16, and re cutting and re piecing you can enhance a your work into something much more pleasing. This was Sample 7.16 before I re cut and added insets of black fabric.
 


The back of the samples are often as interesting as the front, even with this quite simple design the back shows to good effect.


 
So I have a few new ideas now for quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment