Thursday 30 July 2015

M2 Chapter 10 - 'Piecing' A Method of Cutting & Seaming

These exercises are based on Seminole piecing, not quite as traditional though! This reminded me again of the 'disintegration' work in Module 1, particularly when moving from paper to fabric. I started with the paper exercises.

 
Samples 10.1 to 10.4

 
Samples 10.5 to 10.8
 
I experimented with the cut pieces on a white background, without sticking. The effect is quite different from a black background. As with previous design exercises you could make sets of cut outs to explore different design ideas. This method of design would work well with contrasting colours.



 
 
Mosaic Pattern Using Fabric
This was a good challenging exercise which I enjoyed, not sure about my sewing machine though. I started with two strips, one black and one white, measuring 6 x 30 inches each. I cut vertically, horizontally and diagonally. I started by pressing the seams open until it became too fiddly and probably could have managed a bit more cutting and sewing but my machine had started to protest. I worked the middle section a bit more, and with some more practice I can blend the three sections together more.

 
Sample 10.9 Seams front facing

 
Sample 10.9 Seams back facing

 
I much prefer the effect of the seams front facing. This would work well using the tones of my coloured fabrics as well and it would be possible to cut a larger piece into shapes for use in a 3D object.

No comments:

Post a Comment