Wednesday 24 June 2015

M2 Chapter 3 - Tonal Effects In Machine Stitchery

I found this chapter need a little more thought about how to produce different tonal effects. This was a good exercise in using different stitches on my Janome sewing machine. I found that by changing the length and width of a set stitch you can produce quite a variety. I noted all the stitch settings for future reference and used two layers of fabric.

Samples 3.1 to 3.4

Samples 3.5 to 3.8

Samples 3.9 to 3.13
 
 
Tonal Changes Using Whip Stitch
 
This was a bit of a struggle. I switched to using my 1960's Brother machine which is a bit of an old work horse. I lost count of the amount of times I dropped the tiny bobbin screw! I consulted Machine Embroidery Stitch Techniques Harding & Watts, and dropped the feed dogs. This worked a bit better, and I found zig-zag stitch was better than straight stitch. I'm not sure I managed to pull enough of the bobbin thread through to the top. Despite the struggle I did like the effect and will use this again.
 

Samples 3.14 to 3.16
 
 
Tonal Changes Using Cable Stitch
 
I carried on with the Brother machine. This seemed much easier than the whip stitch and I enjoyed producing these samples.

 
 
I found these samples good practice at getting more use out of my sewing machines, as well as being able to compare the difference between machine and hand stitching.
 
Machine Stitched Strips - See Chapter 4 for samples.
 
I produced some machine stitched strips based on the animals markings and patterns I have been looking at. I tried to use the techniques I have practised to produce these strips and added them to my sketchbook, alongside the pages for Chapter 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment