Wednesday 24 June 2015

M2 Chapter 2 - Tonal Columns In Stitchery

A. Tonal Column In Stitchery

This was making a tonal column using a form of counted thread stitching on canvas. The work from Chapter 1 helped with this, for example planning a little ahead to fill the column.

Samples 2.1 & 2.2

B. Tonal effects Using The Technique Of Blackwork

I have worked very little blackwork in the past and very much enjoyed making these samples. I did some background reading which was very interesting. I found it particularly absorbing looking at how shading can be achieved with this technique, although I find I like the historical stitching best rather than more contemporary work.

Sample 2.3

Samples 2.4 & 2.5
 
 
I found using coton a broder 20 was a good choice for these samples, although change the thickness of the thread gave good tonal change.

No comments:

Post a Comment