Sunday 3 May 2015

Resolved Sample, Fourth Thoughts - Stitched Shapes

With these samples I tried to incorporate some of the ideas and advice from Sian regarding ways to move forward with my stitching.

I used all fabric, and some threads, I had dyed and printed myself. I noticed after I had completed all the samples I had not included any negative shapes to disintegrate, something to think about!


Samples 11.30 - 11.32

With the first two samples I bonded a 'flower' star shape and used hand stitching for one and machine stitching for the other -  different widths machine zig zag stitches. I wanted to try quite simple techniques to show disintegration to begin with. With Sample 11.32 I wanted to use couching with different thickness threads and used some twisted merino wool top and silver ribbon.

 
Samples 11.33 - 11.34

With Sample 11.33 I used seed stitch, starting with some scattered and then added and added, until the shape disappeared. I think if the thread colour is quite close to the fabric colour the disintegration is quite good. With Sample 11.34 I started off with rough long and short stitch, with stitches dense on the outer points to sparse in the center. I felt this needed a bit more so added some long straight stitches and French knots.

 
Sample 11.35 - 11.36

With Sample 11.35 I stitched quite randomly, but with Sian's suggestion of heavy to sparse stitching in mind, and also left some parts unstitched. I liked the fabric print effect on the unstitched point, so it seemed a good idea to leave this.  With Sample 11.36 I followed another of Sian's suggestions and hand stitched, then machine stitched and then snipped the hand stitches away. This was my favourite sample, I felt I had really thought the process out and it was a 'true' resolved sample. By using a mixture of hand stitches it gave me different opportunities to cut away for different textures.





No comments:

Post a Comment