Monday 18 May 2015

Chapter 12 - Resolved Sample

I started off by making a rough doodle one evening on a piece of scrap paper, which started my thoughts off on possible designs.
 
 
I didn't really feel these were going to be the actual design but I started getting ideas together and then looked back through all the samples from the module. I tried to focus on things I liked and things I thought had worked well. I gathered all my ideas together on a more planned A3 sheet, using the tulip shapes. It's quite difficult to discard ideas. 
 

 
I decided to base my resolved sample partly on Sample 12.1, using the shapes to show disintegration.
 
 

I wanted to use fabrics I had coloured and printed myself, alongside dyed threads as far as possible.
 
I think I have finished the stitching??? I'll await Sian's comments. I need to decide how to finish the edges before I mount it. I have used a variety of techniques and stitching, some machine stitching and a lot of hand stitching. Stitching through Tyvek by hand is somewhat tricky. I tried on a white background and on a black background to help me decide on a mount colour.
 

 
The colours are brighter than shows in the photos. The complete background fabric I used was coloured and printed with bubble wrap, the bonded fabric was metallic thread, Angelina and silver flakes bonded between silk and synthetic chiffon and the top layer was coloured and printed silk.  I used zig zag and straight machine stitch. The hand stitches include sorbello stitch, chain stitch, running stitch, back stitch, buttonhole stitch, French knots, amongst others.


 
I added some small knots of metallic silver flat ribbon and some tiny pieces of chiffon to add some texture to parts of the design. The bottom left shape is actually a coloured paper shape I had which I hand zig zag stitched into place.

 
I stitched the Tyvek shape by machine and hand. I added tiny snippets of metallic ribbon to part of the shape.

 
The bottom right shape I hand stitched and then machine stitched over, then snipped away at the hand stitching. I used mainly threads I had dyed myself in this shape. I then added some metallic ribbon and some snippets of left over Tyvek.
 
 
I am going to wait for Sian's comments and then finish the resolved sample and mount; also review the chapter.

1 comment: