Saturday 16 June 2018

M6 Source Material

Its always refreshing to start a new module. I began gathering source material by looking at works by some of the great artists and their interpretations of sea and sky. I tried to pay particular attention to how they had made marks and used colour, rather than only looking at the overall painting.

Monet
I am not a big fan of the 'water lilies',  but I do like many of Monet's other works.  The water is represented but large marks - slabs of colour.

S.1

S.2
 
Hundertwasser
I love Hundertwasser's off the wall spirals and stripes. He paints his skies and water using bold colours. He was also a huge part of the early environmentalist movement.

S.3

S.4
 
Van Gogh
Van Gogh has an endless fascination for me and I most like the paintings from the period he was a patient at the Saint-Paul Asylum, often painted from his room window. I feel there is more of a 'calm' and relaxed feel to them. He used thick paint in dashes and swirls.
 
S.5
 
S.6 - This reed pen drawing shows how Van Gogh achieved texture with marks prior to painting.
 
S.7
 
 
Turner
Turner is known for his genius for painting light. His paintings mostly have faded and deteriorated due to his use of pigments that even his contemporaries advised him not to use because of their short lived colour. Turner often applied paint heavily with a palette knife and left texture made with this and brushes on his canvas.
 

S.8

S.9
 
I found some source photographs that I have taken myself and I am off on holiday soon to Devon where I intend to gather some more.
 
S.10

S.11

S.12

S.13

S.14

S.15
 
S.16

S.17
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment