Saturday 16 June 2018

M6 Chapter 1 - Observational Drawings

Drawn Marks Using Crayons and Pencils
This exercise made me look closely at my source pictures and ways of making marks. I also used charcoal, inks and metallic rubs:
 
1.1

1.2
 Sgrafitto
I used wax crayons, aquarelle and Markal sticks for this exercise. The Markal sticks used as the top layer worked well.

1.3

1.4
 
Frottage
I used a variety of surfaces to use for this exercise. Some metal surfaces in my garden, some plastic rubbing plates, rubber print moulds and so on.
 

1.5

1.6

1.7
 
1.8
 
Resist Methods
This took some practice to find the best resist and the best inks. Some were more successful than others. I used Markal sticks, beeswax crayons, aquarelles and Quink ink, Brusho and acrylic ink. I used drawing methods and frottage to make the marks.

1.9

1.10

1.11

1.12

1.13

1.14

Discharge
For this exercise I used Quink ink and Brusho painted onto tissue paper. I made marks with an old credit card, sponge and a cotton bud.

1.15

1.16

1.17

1.18
 
Transparent Surfaces
I used some emulsion paint on acetate sheets - splodged and using the edge of an old credit card.
 
1.19

1.20

For the next one I worked half of the sheet and took a mirror image print.

1.21

Then I took a second print and this broke the paint up. As the emulsion paint was wet it would be quite easy to take further prints onto paper.

1.22

I sponged onto bubble wrap to highlight the raised surfaces.

1.23

I found some old plastic bags and melted them by using a hot iron and baking paper. I then folded/pleated the flat piece and ironed again to fuse the folds together.

1.24
 
I sandwiched threads and beads in a plastic bag and melted it together.

1.25

I then cut up and melted some carrier bags.

1.26
 
I sandwiched cut up thread and melted the plastic and then cut this and melted again and so on.
 

1.27
 
 Happy accidents - tissue paper used to mop up ink

1.28




No comments:

Post a Comment