Wednesday 30 August 2017

M5 Chapter 3 - Texture and Relief In Paper

For this chapter I had to choose six textures to observe, and translate the textures into a relief surface using paper. It was quite difficult to choose because I have a lot of source material. Fortunately because I have plenty of time to work on my module at the moment it meant my paper relief investigations were very fresh in my mind. I decided to try two paper reliefs for each chosen photograph, one on a black background and one on a white.

3.1
 
For the close up of the oyster shell I used handmade paper. I tore and creased and folded to represent the broken layers of shell. If I had a more layered handmade paper it probably would have torn into shell like layers. I added some rice paper to represent the smooth areas.
 

 
3.2
 
For the close up of the broken cockle shells I started by crumpling and pushing tracing paper which felt crisp and sharp in relief, much like the broken shells felt. I then looked closely at the shapes within the photograph and layed small stacks and rolled and folded small pieces of papers.
 

 
3.3
 
For the lichen I glued, scrunched and tore tissue paper first on black paper and then on white paper. It was difficult to produce the small bumps that I initially wanted but I felt I had captured the overall feel.
 

 
3.4
 
I used two types of paper - a fibrous bark type paper pulled apart and twisted and knotted tissue paper. These samples could be built on again, and again.
 
 

3.5
 
This is a close up and manipulated rusted part of a jetty post. I started by using a layer of scrunched tissue overlapped with a layer of stitched, scrunched and torn tissue. I then used fibrous paper agin and pulled, pushed and twisted the paper.
 

 
3.6
 
For the mud flats photograph I inversed the black and white which gave a different viewpoint. I used tightly twisted strips of tissue paper and twisted and flattened printer paper. I kept the feel of the mud flat shapes but felt the paper relief was quite different.
 
I enjoyed this chapter, the first two chapters pulled together and gave me lots of options. I found when I worked with white paper manipulated onto a white background the sample was more carefully placed and considered. The samples on a black backgound were much looser. Both methods produce usable results but it is a good exercise to bear in mind for future larger pieces of work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment