Thursday 24 August 2017

M4 Chapter 11 Make A Book Structure Relating to Media [Part 2]

I started by attaching 3 thick copper wires to a piece of driftwood and making a template for placing the holes onto each panel. I decided on five panels. Each panel was to represent one of the cockle boats that returned from Dunkirk following the evacuation - Reliant, Endeavour, Leticia, Resolute and Defender.

I slid five papers on, roughly torn, to check the structure would work.

11.17

Next I just started sorting objects and fabrics I had gathered to try different ideas out.

11.18

I changed my mind several times while placing objects.

11.19
 
I hand stitched around the edges of some papers. 

11.20

11.21
 
I didn't feel I was achieving the effect I wanted on the panels at this point. The stitching was not working when the panels were stacked. The objects seemed placed and there was not the tangled feel I was looking for and the paper base seemed flat. I made some more samples, adding machine stitched strips of fabric to echo the patterns in the mud. I used straight and zig zag machine stitch of various lengths and widths. I also made net out of blue twine.

11.22
 
I finally ended up with five panels I was satisfied with. I added the turquoise blue colour from the nets I had observed. I wrapped found objects and wove threads onto some of them. I used straight hand stitches to attach bundles and objects to the panels. I used some detached chain stitch and knots to secure pieces. I made a conscious choice not to add stitching to the edges of the panels as I felt it detracted from the style of the panels.

 
11.23

11.24


11.25

11.26

11.27
 
I added the name of each of the five returning boats to the layers. I considered adding more text but felt this would work better if the panels were more simple and plain. Maybe an idea for a follow up! The drawn thread work echoed the tangled seaweed, netting and debris. I pulled and stretched it, pulled threads at random and made loops.

When I looked at the structure I initially decided to cover the struts with cords and rope using the piles of tyres as inspiration.

11.28
 
However, after some experimenting I decided that the structure was looking far too heavy and crowded, it lost the feel of floating panels.
 
11.29
 
Without the added cords I needed to ensure each panel stayed in place. I found gluing one or two strips of thick card across the back of each panel helped support the whole piece. Then I added a small square of thick cardboard to each insertion point with a dab of clear drying glue. This held each panel in place.
 
The Finished Panels
"...they weren't in the army or navy, they just answered the call." John Dench
 

11.30

The empty net is to represent the only one of the six cockle boats which did not return - The Renown.

11.31

11.32

11.33
 
Finished measurement 14"(h) x 12"(w) x 8"(d)
 
Presentation Sheet
 
11.34

11.35

11.36

No comments:

Post a Comment