Friday 13 November 2015

M3 Chapter 4 - Decorate With Stitchery

I started off with hand stitching, and used an ammonite shape to stitch a large continuous spiral.

 
I used running stitch on a single layer of fabric.

 
I then stitched a 'Hundertwasser' inspired series of spirals.

 
 
I moved onto free machine stitching. I started off using my usual Janome but bought a new Brother Innovis VQ2 machine so obviously I finished my samples using this. I dithered quite a lot about which machine to buy, this machine has a long arm allowing more room for free machine stitching and also I bought the bobbin work kit which means I don't need to worry about altering the bobbin case tension!
 
I started off with practicing spirals shapes, randomly.
 
 
Then I tried layers of cable stitch, I didn't feel this sample particularly worked. It was a bit of a struggle to do the cable stitch.
 
 
The new machine arrived and I had a play!




 
I went back to the ammonite shape to stitch, I was fairly pleased but think with more practice I'll improve. It's not quite 'second nature' to me yet.
 
 
Then for the next two samples I practiced with cable stitch and whip stitch.


 
The cable and whip stitch was certainly much easier with my new machine, although I think I could get a better whip stitch.


No comments:

Post a Comment