Sunday 25 October 2015

M3 Chapter 3 - Fabrics and Threads

I had established a colour scheme of yellow and violet in the first two chapters. I collected a range of fabrics, including old cotton sheets, silk, silk noil, habotai silk, cotton organdie, scrim, old t-shirts to colour. I also had some silk strips, bought as a bundle. I used cold water dyes.



 
I tied several pieces for dip dyeing.

 
I was quite pleased with the dip dyeing and random dyeing results. With the dip dyeing I tied too tightly and the dye did not penetrate all of the fabric. I'll try again with another batch later in the module.





 
I like the silk noil dyed and like the results even though some of the dye hasn't penetrated.
 
 
I dyed some thread and silk carrier rods.
 
 
I bought some mixed pack threads and looked through my stash.

 
I coloured some wooden beads, rods, cotton reels and polystyrene balls using the method suggested. I think I used too much paint as it all became a bit thick and I didn't get a very even spread. One big thing I have learnt so far on the course is to try and rectify mistakes, so I think I can sand some bits back for a more even finish. I could also re-paint.

 
Finally I mono printed some fabric using a Gelli Plate. I used some fabric paints and some acrylic paint mixed with a fabric medium. I have a good range of fabrics and I can colour/print another batch when needed later in the module.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment