Saturday 17 October 2015

M2 Chapter 12 - Finished Functional 3D Embroidered Item & Evaluation







 
The four front and back middle panels are made from dyed silk noil, which was then mono printed, had black net laid over the top and was heavily machine stitched. The two front side panels were black cotton and the two back side panels were white cotton, both mono printed and machine stitched. All ribbons and cords were made from dyed and printed fabrics. The top binding was white cotton machine stitched and the bottom edging from black lace ribbon I had in my stash. There is steel boning in each panel.
 








 
The lining is made from patterned silk which I dyed black. As this is a piece to be worn I decided not to stitch the lining for comfort.
 

 
 
Evaluation of Item

The completed embroidered assessment piece for Module two is a corset based on the design topic of animal inspiration - a lizard - and machine stitching.

How do you feel about the resulting conclusion?
I am very pleased with the finished item, particularly the fabric and the fit. It did take much longer than I anticipated mainly due to the machine stitching. I stitched large pieces of the dyed and printed fabrics before cutting the panels to allow for the fabric pulling up. I am also pleased that I took a design through from inspiration from a basic photograph through to a finished piece.

Is it fit for purpose - give reasons?
This is fit for purpose, I was working to the module assessment requirements and to produce a corset to be worn by my daughter. It fitted well and is comfortable to wear. It could in fact be worn 'inside out' if desired.

If you were asked to make it again, what changes would you make to the way you designed it and the way you made it?
I would possibly make three or four calico mock ups in slightly different cuts, for example; a straight top bodice, to give more choice for the finished garment design. Although the current shaping could be varied by changing the finish of the fabric, different methods of dyeing - tie dye etc. - different ways of machine stitching and so on. It could also of course be made in a variety of colours.



No comments:

Post a Comment