Friday 13 November 2015

M3 Chapter 5 - Cord Making

I really enjoy cord making so was looking forward to extending my skills and trying some new ideas. I used a braiding foot on my machine and a zig zag stitch, a variety of threads including variegated and used a different colour for top and bottom threads. For the cores I used t-shirt strips, silk strips, two sizes of wire, string, raffia and other threads.




 
I actually ended up making about three times the amount of cords in the photos! I liked using the wires and the cotton covered ones worked well, also the silk strips which dyed nicely.
 
When I visited the Knitting & Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace this year I found a lovely stand selling a variety of threads, kits and equipment to make braids. I made two Laramie braids using a disc and a Japanese Kumihimo braid. There are many, many variations which can be made using this method. It is a bit like straw plaiting or using a Knitting Nancy.
 

 I started with twisting strips to make cords; t-shirt strips, raffia, stitched cords, silk & rayon thread, silk strips, wool & t-shirt strips.

 
I then knotted some cords; Turks Head knot (tricky), simple knots, continuous twist, half hitch, double ridge and looped braid. The corded wire was interesting because I could see lots of uses for it.

 
I plaited some of the cords, using 3 and 4 strands and knots.


The wrapped cords were fun to make, using the cords as the core.

 
I'm hoping to use some or all of my sample cords for my resolved sample and accessory piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment