Friday 13 November 2015

M3 Chapter 7 - Simple Button Making

Onto button making. I started by making core shapes from thick cardboard covered with wadding, and then coloured fabric. I wrapped the first three with gold Ophir and rayon, and rubbed some metallic 'gleam' over the top. For the next three I added some beads after I had wrapped them with Polysheen. I then dipped and rubbed acrylic wax on them all and added some gold Pearlex. I was pleased with the results of these, particularly the wax.

 
I decided to make some round buttons and again added some gleam before wrapping and knotting with stitched cords.

 
For making toggle buttons I started by wrapping strips of coloured fabric.
 
 
Then I wrapped and cut strips of Tyvek, added synthetic fabric and threads. I used the heat gun to melt the Tyvek and a wood burner tool.

 
Finally I wrapped and melted some painted synthetic felt. These made a nice spiral 'shell' shape.

 
For making Dorset buttons I bought a little booklet by Marion Howitt It's really useful, with lots of different techniques packed in. I made some different types of traditional button, including one using a cord, and then made a few birds eye buttons. I will explore this technique further as there are many variations that I can try.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment