Sunday 16 August 2015

M2 Chapter 12 - More Design Ideas & Some Exploring!

I was thinking about incorporating some net into my fabrics for my assessment piece. I made a couple of samples with some left over scraps.

 
The top sample I simply stitched the net over a stitched sample with paint over it, and with the bottom sample I tried decorative stitching over the top of the net, adding cords and some meandering stitching with cut away net. The top sample may lend itself to part of the corset and the net gave a quite subtle texture but I'm not so sure the other sample will give me the effect I'm looking for.
 
In the new issue of Creative Workbox there is a nice technique demonstrated by Lynda Monk which follows on nicely from the workshop with her I recently attended. It involved bonding scrim to Tyvek and heated to get a nicely textured piece. I started with un-dyed scrim. The effect was could and I am going to use this with a piece I started at Lynda's workshop.
 
 
 
I then tried with some dyed scrim, looking for a flatter effect that I could possibly use in my corset.

 
Next I added some stitch, which flatted the sample a bit more but some of the original bumps & ridges still remained. It could be better to hand stitch this.
 
 
I then thought I would try with some crystal organza. This turned out well and I really like the effect but not sure I could fit this in my corset design.
 
 
Because the Tyvek is very noticeable I painted some black and then made another sample. The effect is always different with heated Tyvek and if this were to be used for a bigger piece I would make a much larger base piece to cut and sew.

 
The crystal organza gave a lovely delicate, shimmering effect. It would be good for maybe a belt or jewellery, evening bag etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment