Sunday 16 August 2015

M2 Chapter 11 - Revisited & Rescued

So after discussion with Sian I have revisited a couple of things from Chapter 11. Firstly meandering stitching and giraffe patterns. I used a grey thread with this sample and two layers of fabric.


 
I could have made more density and better shapes with more of the wide stitching, something to keep in mind for future work. Overall this gives a nice flowing feel to the samples.
 
Next I went back to look at Sample 11.10.
 

I achieved tonal difference in the paper sample and thought the stitching would carry it onto the fabric sample, but it really didn't work very well.

 
Following Sian's advice I decided to rescue it rather than abandon it! Firstly I stripped off all the added strips and cords, and decided I would use paint to increase the tonal difference. For a piece that would need future washing I would have added a fabric medium but for this sample I only used straight acrylic paint. I really liked the way the paint altered not only the tone, but the stitching. It made it much more interesting.
 
 
Next I laid the strips and cords back over the sample and took some quick photos on my phone to compare different effects.

 


 I decided I preferred the last effect and stitched the cords along the seam to add some more differentiation and then stitched the black strips back. I used grey thread again and a wider zig zag stitch.


 
Comparing the original sample to the rescued sample the change is very apparent.
 
 
Reflecting on this exercise, it has been very worthwhile rescuing the sample. Not to say that I wouldn't make some changes differently in the future, but it has opened many more possibilities. The painted stitching now look much more 'lizard' like and I love the effect. The black strips maybe look a little heavy but that is quite easily changed and I can see lots of possibilities for my corset piece - as predicted by Sian ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment