Tuesday 11 August 2015

M2 Chapter 12 - Ideas For Designing A Functional, 3D Embroidered Item

I started off by sketching and making some 3D shapes.


 
Top Left: Long shaped cylinder like the giraffe neck and the lizard body
 
Top Right: Pyramid like the lizard spikes
 
Bottom Left: Cylinder, again like the giraffe neck
 
Middle: Hexagon Prism like the lizard scales
 
Bottom Right: Cone like lizard spikes
 
 
I've chosen this long shaped cylinder which I can use as a 3D shape basis for a corset/bodice top. The hexagon prism shape would make a nice trinket box.

 
I went away to do some research into corsets. There is so much historical information this was quite time consuming! I pulled some books off my shelf and pulled together some info I had found at the Festival of Quilts.
 

 
Not quite a corset, but along the same lines. The plaster casts of Arlene's actual body were great and I loved the finished piece. A very modern take on Wonder Woman.

 
I could have filled pages with background research! The Scarlett O'Hara scene is one of my all time favourites.
 
 
Next I put together some initial ideas.
 

There are many ways in which I could design and make this stitched corset. Front or back fastening, forward seams, inset seams and so on. I have previously made a 'duct tape' corset, but it can be quite time consuming and I am leaning towards adapting a commercial pattern. I have an Elizabethan pattern and another would be a Victorian shape, both of which would be achievable. I like the Regency style with an added 'skirt' but I'm not sure I would be challenging myself with this design. I like the idea of a tie dyed front panel and also vertical rows of decorated seams.

I had a look at some historical patterns:

 
When I have made costumes previously (mainly for fancy dress) I've found it helps to draw the shapes to help understand the construction of the historical garment, even if you adapt it hugely.
 
I then went on to look at tone. Although I still struggle a bit with this on paper, once I have done it I find it's so helpful for stitch and fabric work.
 
 
 
Discussion with Sian next, before moving on.




No comments:

Post a Comment