Monday 28 May 2018

M5 Chapter 12 - Resolved Sample

Stitch Trial Samples 

I chose the top left design for my resolved sample. 

12.1

12.2 - Simplified onto black paper

12.3 - Looking at negative space in the design shapes.


12.4 - The design worked with flat textured papers

12.5 - Looking at relief textured paper and fabric samples

12.6 - Looking at relief textured paper and fabric samples

12.7 - Free machine stitch samples

12.8 - Free machine and hand stitch samples
 
12.9 - Fabric manipulation samples

12.10 - Interpreting the flat relief with Italian quilting

12.11 - Trapped buttons held with machine stitch

12.12 - Collection of fabric and threads. I was originally going to use white only but I decided to use shades of gold/rust as this reminded me of the rust I had seen on my original walk and the lichen.

12.13 - First thoughts on the panels. I planned to stitch each panel onto pelmet Vilene and then attach to the background. For the bottom panel I trapped shells in place of buttons.

12.14 - I replaced the middle panel with strips of jersey fabric. The top left panel was pleated with some pleats stitched flat and others padded with yarn. The top right panel was Italian quilting. I worked some more colour into the background fabric with free machine stitch. I started working French knots into the bottom panel.

12.15 - I continued to hand stitch and tried to use only French knots and chain stitch.

12.16 - The resolved sample. There is less variation in colour on the actual sample. I added some raffia behind the middle section and pushed the panels into ridges and pleats as I attached it to the background. And continued with French knots.

12.17 - Detail of left and middle panels

12.18 - Detail of middle and right panel

12.19 - Detail of bottom panel.
 
I did enjoy working on this panel and although there are things I would do differently if I repeated the exercise it shows the value of making a resolved sample before commencing on a larger piece of work.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment