Thursday 26 March 2015

Chapter 2 - Making Coloured Papers

This is something I have never done before, I usually just buy paper I want. I was a bit unsure of which dyes to use and decided to try some cold water dyes and some alcohol inks.

 
 
Clearly by the bright pink and yellow don't believe what you read on the packet! I kept these for future use. I had great fun once I got going. I could only find a Christmas apron and did get a bit messy, and initially I wasn't too happy with the results. I found though that once the paper had dried I was pleased with my efforts. I used cartridge paper, textured paper and tissue paper. I love the coloured tissue paper and I think it was the best result. The cold water dyes worked well for big sheets but I'm going to invest in some Brusho for future use. The alcohol inks were not really suitable but I will explore with them in the future.
 
For the printing I chose part of one of my line drawings and cut the shape into a rubber. This worked surprisingly well and is a very cost effective way to make a stamp. I used 2 colours of acrylic paint. It was very easy to pick a line drawing to make the stamp, usually with no drawing I would dither for ages. I enjoyed the printing and found it 'lifted' some of the papers which I hadn't particularly liked. I'm gaining a much better understanding of colour.
 

 
2.1                                                               2.2
 
 
 
 
 

 
When cutting out star shapes from the coloured papers I tried to look at some geometric shapes and some natural shapes. I tried overlapping some shapes and mixing two shapes together. I found the coloured tissue paper gave a good contrast. Also, the coloured papers improved even more once I started cutting them and I began to think more about how I can colour more to help with Chapter 3.
 
 
2.3                                                               2.4
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment