Sunday 6 January 2019

M6 Chapters 9 & 10 - Converting the Design into Embroidery

I coloured a large amount of paper, using different weights including tissue and abaca paper.



I used combinations of brusho, oil crayons, bleach acrylic inks, tin foil and folded, creased and scrunched the papers. I found layering different medium worked well.

I chose blue as a main colour and felt this fitted with my theme meaning - grief and eternity, with sand colour as a contrast, and then green from the seaweed I had observed in the rock pools at Devon. Also green symbolically means hope.

For my design I found I subconsciously tore strips in a wave pattern. 


10.1


10.2 - Photocopied and enlarged

I made some samples using whip and cable stitch to translate the design but I didn't particularly feel any connection with them.

10.3

10.4

I moved on to using dissolvable paper and film. I felt more connected with these and tried with some dyed fabrics and thread. I added some beads to represent plastic nurdles, but the beads were a little small.

10.5

I had thought I might make the whole piece in stitched lace using dissolvable paper. I looked at different ways of making a more dense sample and changing tones.

10.6

10.7

10.8

Lastly I looked at using strips of torn fabric held with machine stitch.

10.9

I played with the samples looking at ways of combing the stitched samples.

10.10

10.11





No comments:

Post a Comment