Thursday 7 September 2017

M5 Chapter 9a - Threads & Stitchery

I decided I would form my samples into a long rolled, fabric book when I had worked them, so I started by marking some black light weight cotton fabric, used doubled.

9.1

I decided to use chain stitch for this exercise. I do use this quite a lot but mainly in the same ways so I wanted to explore more ways to use it.

9.2
Detached chain used as couching - string; raffia; yarn; leather; yarn

9.3
Wide chains in formal lines - heavy coton perle

9.4
Double chain in formal stripes - heavy coton perle

9.5
Detached chains - coton perle; hemp; ribbon; raffia; yarn

9.6
Forming chains in different ways - still fairly formal.

9.7
Rows close chains - yarn; leather; cord; ribbon

9.8
Forming a regular grid with long chains - light coton perle

9.9
Cable chain stitch, joined and woven - heavy and light coton perle
 
9.10
More informal couching. Base of detached chains - string; hemp; ribbon; yarn, couched with detached chain.

9.11
Detached chains worked over rings of yarn, built up layers by piling stitches - yarn.

9.12
Irregular wide chains using various weights of thread - embroidery silk; cotton yarn; rayon

9.13
Detached chains with long tails, layered - yarn; cotton yarn; cotton

9.14
Detached chains on raised bands - string; coton perle

9.15
Wide chains worked in leather and string, wrapped with detached chains of thick hemp, layered with chains of finer hemp.

9.16
Groups of long stitch - raffia - held with detached chains.

9.17
Scrunched boucle yarn and left over thread held down with detached chains, some piled and raised band with cable chain over the top.
 
I really enjoyed working the samples and found I became much looser in my stitching as I progressed. I am pleased with the variety of threads I used and enjoyed working with natural fibres.
 
I decided to continue and make a rolled book with my samples and firstly framed them all with black fabric.
 
9.18
Fortunately I have a lovely, long worktop to work on, fitted at the correct height for me.

9.19
The whole book ended up approximately 70 inches long.

9.20
For the backing fabric I raided my 'left overs' and scraps and I had lots left from Module 2. So I cut and layered to make my backing strip.

9.21

Finally, I made a quick cord to hold the book together.

9.22

9.23
 
I enjoyed both stitching and book making and now have a nice book of chain stitch samples to refer to.  It is very flexible and folds easily for looking at a specific sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment